Howdy folks, thanks for stopping by. This will be an ongoing effort to keep an up to date listing of places I have stopped for overnights. In order to make it more usable, I will be using labels for the posts and will enable searching by label. Labels I intend to use are for: State, County, Vault(if it has), Primitive (if no facilities at all), Water (if near enough to walk to), Noise level, Pet friendly, Fishing, Hiking, Road condition. If I think of more that are needed, will add them at that time :)

Monday, December 7, 2009

Upper Pinal Campground, Near Globe Az




first camp when I became a dweller was the Upper Pinal Campground on the top of Pinal Mountain just to the southwest of Globe Az.  Even though it was June in the desert, the top of the mountain was comfortable with highs in the mid 80’s.  There were only 3 campsites there, though I suppose that out of the campround you could find spaces to park for overnights.. didnt see many folks up there in the 10 days I stayed and liked it that way. There was no water available there, but a clean vault toilet was avail. the 3 sites had either fire rings or in the case of mine, a grill, and there was plenty of forage for firewood.

The days were very comfortable for the summer, and nights were great. though when thunderstorms rolled through, they were right on top of you!

While there, I saw a few deer, 1 skunk, 1 western Rattlesnake, and what I 'Think' was stinging nettle.. which is edible for foraging.. I didnt know enough then so didnt try any, will fix that when I go back.

The road up to the campground is dirt/gravel, and very windy and in some cases almost single lane.. not someplace you want to take a long trailer or 5th wheel to.

I do recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment