Howdy folks, thanks for stopping by. This will be an ongoing effort to keep an up to date listing of places I have stopped for overnights. In order to make it more usable, I will be using labels for the posts and will enable searching by label. Labels I intend to use are for: State, County, Vault(if it has), Primitive (if no facilities at all), Water (if near enough to walk to), Noise level, Pet friendly, Fishing, Hiking, Road condition. If I think of more that are needed, will add them at that time :)

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Show Low Az. FR 300


I spent a few weeks in the Show Low Area, I really enjoyed the pines there, being close enough to town to get a good signal on the Aircard, and the ability to walk into the nearest Circle K (convenience store, 4 mile round trip).

the Area i was in was just off of Forest road 300, there was no attempt to find a campground or other developed area, I just found a side road off of the forest road and pulled under some trees.

because if was not developed in any way, and was so close to town.. the forest area was trashed in alot of ways. there were piles and piles of crap that folks has just dumped out the back of their trucks, so that was very disheartening. But I did like the area and will return. I spent almost 3 weeks at this location, it was monsoon season for Az, so got rain most afternoons and was able to capture gallons of it for cooking and basic needs. Plenty of wood around for fires, and the nights were very comfortable (50s).

I am not positive, but I believe I came across 2 tent camps where folks were living full time. I came across the tents while out hiking in the woods, off of any trail, they were fully set up and appeared well supplied from a distance, but there was no vehicle approach at all to them. I figure they were keeping a low profile from the FS, but close enough to town to hold a job. Neither resident caused me any problems

No comments:

Post a Comment