Howdy folks, thanks for stopping by. This will be an ongoing effort to keep an up to date listing of places I have stopped for overnights. In order to make it more usable, I will be using labels for the posts and will enable searching by label. Labels I intend to use are for: State, County, Vault(if it has), Primitive (if no facilities at all), Water (if near enough to walk to), Noise level, Pet friendly, Fishing, Hiking, Road condition. If I think of more that are needed, will add them at that time :)

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bear Canyon Lake, Overguard Az area




beautiful area, actually Forest Service campground, multiple vaults for camping use, really large area set aside for camping.

Dirt road back into the campground, somewhat washboarded because of the high volume of use, but saw it being graded while I was there so they pay attention to it. Saw rangers 4 to 5 times a week while I was there.

The approach to the lake can be problematic if your a kayaker/canoer, it's down a switchback trail of about a 1/4 mile. not too steep, but tight manuvering if your carrying anything large. The water is very picturesque, and I hear there is good trout there.. I barely tried, but didnt catch anything. there are 2 other approaches that can be used to the lake, one is forest road 208 from the west end, and the other goes to the back side of the lake. The area accessed by forest road 208 does have campsites but no facilities, the back of the lake is pretty much undeveloped and you can find plenty of spots there. the advantage of the backside is that there is an access road that would make bringing in a boat much easier, you cannot drive to the water, but taking the 1/4 mile on a smooth incline is easier than switchbacking.

by the time I left here, I had been approached by the Forest service and asked to host here the next summer. I still have the contact info, but so far unwilling to commit to that.

1 comment:

  1. Years ago, I remember driving down a dirt road that started behind a grocery store on the south side of 260 in Heber. It went towards the rim passing a private cemetery and then coming up to a lake. It seemed as though it was about 14 miles on the dirt road from the store. What is the name of that lake? I'd like to find out if there is any good fishing in that lake. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete