Howdy folks, thanks for stopping by. This will be an ongoing effort to keep an up to date listing of places I have stopped for overnights. In order to make it more usable, I will be using labels for the posts and will enable searching by label. Labels I intend to use are for: State, County, Vault(if it has), Primitive (if no facilities at all), Water (if near enough to walk to), Noise level, Pet friendly, Fishing, Hiking, Road condition. If I think of more that are needed, will add them at that time :)

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Arizona State Trust land, Facts and the reality(updated4-1-15)

Mornin folks Winking smile just wanted to do a general post to answer some folks questions on Arizona State trust land, camping thereon, and limitations that you might encounter.
Az State trust land is located throughout the state, some of the areas are very popular, others you are unlikely to see a soul.. that fact is critical in your decision to use the land without hassles.  Technically, in order to use state trust land for ANY use you must get a permit in advance of your stay, the following is excerpted from the AZ Land department site.
Arizona Trust Land is land managed by the State Land Department
Trust Land is not public land!
A recreation permit is required to camp, hike or travel on Trust Land that is designated as open for recreation
A recreation permit is an agreement between you (the responsible casual user) and the Department, to allow limited recreational activities conditional on your continued responsible behavior (see terms and conditions)
Types of Recreational Permits/ Terms/ Fee  Fees havent changed as of 4/1/15, wanted to double check that inflation hadnt hit. :)
For more information about the types of permits click the text links below or select What Type of Permit do I need
Individual Permits
1 Year
$15.00
Family Permits
1 Year
$20.00
Non-Competitive/ Non-Commercial Group Permit * Less than 20 people
Less than 5 Days
$15.00
Event Special Land Use Permit **
2 / 5 Years
Fee Schedule
Now, to the reality of things.. IF you are in a high traffic area, there is a distinct possibility that you will be approached to show a permit, if you are out there.. well, who is gonna know?   I have spent many weeks on state trust land, some of which within 100yds of the main (dirt) road going from pavement to a trailhead.. and only once have I been approached.. that camp had me on the top of a hill, with a huge panoramic vista before me..and with a white box truck I stood out like a billboard!!  The ranger that came up to me asked about the permit, I admitted I didn’t have one, said I was just camping for a day or two waiting to go to the renaissance festival which was coming up that weekend, he was pleasant and friendly, didn’t run me off, but since I told him I would leave after that, I didn’t push it beyond that weekend.  Had I been down one of the roads that wound off, I doubt I would have been noticed at all.
There are areas that are state trust land that I think would be fine for long term parking, and doubt that you would ever see anyone! Let alone an employee of a state that is having major budget issues.  Case in point, there is state trust land that is within 2 miles of my property in northern Az.. it’s 5 miles off the pavement down a year round graded road in the middle of nowhere.. it’s rare that I see anyone in that area, which is perfect for being left alone..
there is an online tool available to find parcels of State trust lands HERE, but my normal source is through Arizona Atlas & Gazetteer .  I tend to like to carry the paper maps just in case I’m in an area with no wireless signal, or running low on power.
So far, I haven't found a reason to actually get a permit.. maybe one day I’ll see the need, but as long as I can find a quiet spot without having to get it, I will continue to skirt the edges of the system.






No comments:

Post a Comment